Why disposable drapes over Reusable Linen ?: A Hospital Administrator will always think,
why his organisation should use disposable surgical linen and not reusable ones. Below are
some factual points for the understanding purpose:
- Barrier property to prevent patient from exogenous contamination. Disposable non- woven surgical gowns have 95- 98% bacterial filtration efficiency and 25-30 cm³/cm²/sec air permeability.
- Nonwoven medical drapes and gowns can help prevent the spread of bacteria and microbes during surgery, thereby reducing the risk of Hospital Acquired Infections.
- The world health organization (WHO) has recommended use of disposable personal protective equipment i.e. apron, mask , gown ,cap , gloves etc. in its practical guidelines for infection control in health care facilities.
- International studies have indicated that single-use nonwoven products reduced infection by 2.5 times compared to reusable woven textiles.
- International studies have also shown that 56% of reusable textiles had significant defects that could seriously compromise their performance to cause infection. Nonwoven disposable fabrics are engineered to have high barrier to blood or body fluids.
- Very comfortable for doctors and gives cloth like feeling.
- Non-woven materials, the lint have virtually been decreased to little or no lint present.
- Many Studies have confirmed that cost of managing reusable linen is higher than disposable linen.
This has also been a valid fact, that by using disposable linen, the healthcare facility saves a lot of
time and cost by eliminating following processes:
To conduct all these processes we need time and manpower both, hence it brings less hassle and more savings for an administrator.